What a haul! Olympic champions with Tri-County connections keep popping up on the medal stand. Thanks to some quick research from Staff Writer Stephen Nellis, here’s a preliminary lineup:
• Will Simpson of Thousand Oaks won a gold medal in equestrian team show jumping.
• Jason Lezak, a 1999 graduate of the University of California, Santa Barbra, helped Michael Phelps and company bring home gold in the men’s 400-meter medley relay. Lezak also won a bronze.
• Gina Miles of SLO County won a silver medal in a three-part equestrian event that involves dressage, cross country and show jumping.
• Mike and Bob Bryan, brothers from Camarillo, won the bronze in men’s tennis doubles.
• The U.S. women’s softball team includes Jessica Mendoza, a Camarillo High School graduate.
• The U.S. baseball team includes pitcher Brandon Knight, a native of Oxnard and Buena High graduate.
• Todd Rogers and Phil Dalhausser, beach volleyball players from Santa Barbara County, play for a medal.
• Stephanie Brown Trafton, a Cal Poly and Arroyo Grande High School graduate, won the gold in the women’s discus competition.
Congratulations to all.