Street Smarts: 2022 shaping up as a change year in Ventura County politics
It looks like there is going to be significant turnover in Ventura County politics this year. Clerk-Recorder Mark Lunn, Treasurer and Tax Collector Steven Hintz and Assessor Dan Goodwin have all decided not to run for re-election. These are all county veterans, with Lunn and Hints having served three terms and Goodwin finishing his sixth. Those retirements, plus the term limits-driven retirement of Supervisor Linda Parks, a growth control advocate from East County, means a new political lineup will take shape. Our bet is more diversity and more advocacy for housing solutions as a generational shift begins.
AMTRAK’S ON TIME THIS TIME
In one of the more timely promotions we’ve seen, Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner offers savings on midweek train travel through June 29, 2022. For a limited time, passengers who travel between Monday and Thursday can purchase one regular full-fare adult ticket and book up to three companions on the same reservation at a 50% discount. With gas prices near record levels, this should be a slam dunk. Use the promo code V308 at pacificsurfliner.com/save, at a station or on the phone at 1-800-USA-RAIL. Surfliner offers daily service between San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties.
GOLETA THROWS A PARTY
Hundreds of Goletans flocked to the city’s 20th birthday bash, held March 5 at Rancho La Patera and Stow House. Kudos to the Goleta Valley Historical Society for partnering with the city, which also goes by the moniker the Goodland.
GLAMPING AT THE BEACH
Highway West Vacations debuts its Flying Flags Avila Beach, an RV and glamping campground near the Port San Luis Pier. The resort includes cottages, bike-in tent sites and more. Highway West has 16 locations for glamping, camping and boutique hoteling, including the Vinland and Winston in Solvang.
• Goodwill of the Central Coast has announced a fundraising campaign in the form of support for donation drives. Goodwill is targeting churches, businesses, schools or civic organizations looking for worthwhile community service projects. Goodwill provides a trailer and staff to help sort donations.
• After a two-year hiatus, Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mid-Central Coast returns with a live dinner and auction on April 9 at the Santa Maria Radisson.
• California Lutheran University is hosting an exhibit of rock posters created by Zoltron, who started as a street artist and developed a worldwide fan base that includes rock stars and museum curators. “Zoltron: The Art of Rock ‘n’ Roll” opened Feb. 14 in the William Rolland Art Center on the university’s Thousand Oaks campus and will continue through April 1.
• Allan Hancock College celebrated the grand opening of its new MESA/STEM Academic Success Center. The $1.8 million center is located in building M500 at Hancock’s Santa Maria campus.
• CANINE CASH: Leo Bunnin, owner of Bunnin of Santa Paula, Fillmore and Santa Barbara, recently presented a $25,100 gift to Search Dog Foundation of Santa Paula after a successful sales promotion.
• LYRICAL LIBRARY: Ventura’s E.P. Foster Library will present a musical program, “Lyrical Literature: The Songs and Theater Music of Ross Care,” at 2 p.m. on March 26.
• PERFECT PARTNER: The Housing Authority of Santa Barbara honored City Net as its 2021 Outstanding Community Partner of the Year.
• MERMAID MONTH: Ventura Harbor Village celebrates these mythical aquatic creatures with sightings scheduled for March 13 and March 20 from 1-4 p.m.