Street smarts: Santa Barbara company donates equipment
Santa Barbara-based MOS Equipment held a special event on Dec. 21 dedicated to enhancing the capabilities of local law enforcement agencies in digital forensics. The company donated its Mission Darkness faraday bags and analysis enclosures to the agencies, with each kit valued at approximately $11,000.
The Ventura County Chapter of SCORE recognized two local businesses for outstanding achievements in 2023 on Dec. 14. The two businesses were KnitPal of Moorpark, recognized as Small Business of the Year, while Real Model Solutions of Ventura was recognized for Outstanding Progress in Business Development.
• RTX, a Raytheon company, won The Foodbank of Santa Barbara’s Hunger Heroes Corporate Showdown. In total, the competition helped raise $61,840 and the eight competing teams collectively donated over 2,407 pounds of food and collectively put in 67 hours of volunteer time. Cheers to the season of giving!
• Chase Restaurant, located on State St. in downtown Santa Barbara, won the annual Downtown Santa Barbara’s Décor Committee amongst 25 competing businesses! Congrats on that holiday spirit!
ENHANCED EMERGENCY RESPONSE
The City of Santa Barbara Fire Department announced its recent acquisition of two state-of-the-art fire engines which it said will help them enhance its emergency response capabilities.
• VetSurg, the only locally owned 100% board-certified veterinary surgical center in Southern California, has announced the addition of Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon, Dr. Hilary Ludwig.
• Dignity Health French Hospital Medical Center announced Tessa Espinoza as its new Chief Philanthropy Officer, effective Jan. 8.
• The Santa Barbara Museum of Art announced three newmembers to its Board of Trustees: Rachel Kaganoff Stern, J. Paul Longanbach, and Beth Wood. They will serve under the leadership of Board Chair Nicholas Mutton and their term officially begins Jan. 1.
The Economic Development Collaborative is now enrolling employees in workplace English language training at no-cost, thanks to a one-time grant from the Employment Training Panel. For those interested email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The inaugural flight from San Luis Obispo Airport to Las Vegas took place on Dec. 15. The now daily flight will be a big boost to the SLO economy!
Amgen will serve as the title sponsor of the Irish Open starting in 2024, following the acquisition of Horizon Therapeutics plc in October 2023. Horizon Therapeutics, a leading Irish company, began sponsoring the tournament in 2022 as part of a multi-year commitment to the Irish community.
Another space flight took off from Vandenberg Space Force Base on Dec. 20. The mission, called Fly the Lightning, launched a payload for Lockheed Martin.
Nonprofits serving Goleta residents are encouraged to access $250,000 in grant funds the city has made available through a ompetitive application process. The process runs through Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. and online applications will be accepted for both the Goleta City Grant and Community Development Block Grant programs.
HAPPY RETIREMENT: Ellen Goodstein, the executive director at Sansum Diabetes Research Institute for the past nine years, has stepped down from her post. We wish her luck in her next journey!
REMODEL DONE: San Luis Obispo-based CALM launched its new website last week. The remodeled website, accessible at calm4kids.org, comes as part of CALM’s commitment to serving its diverse audience and facilitating easy access to crucial information.
BIG TIME HELPERS: Santa Barbara-based Direct Relief has been named the largest charity in California and the 5th largest charity nationally, according to Forbes Magazine’s newly released annual list of the 100 largest U.S. charities.